Say hello!

Comments

• SueSue Member

Hello I'm Sue

My role is running the paraplanning and compliance side of our business.  We are Charter Financial Planning, based in Preston and the three of us have been in business together for 34 years (ouch!).  I guess my special interest would be pensions and retirement income planning generally.  I've just completed the R08 and love to see our younger team members developing and growing their technical knowledge. This forum is a brilliant idea and it's great to see the profession of paraplanning gaining such momentum over recent years.

Out of work, I'm a bee keeper and have chickens and a season ticket for Blackburn Rovers.

Can take or leave most chocolate except dark chocolate covered coffee beans which are so moreish.  Prefer anything liquorice.

• Hi, My name is Dylan and I'm a (glup) paraplanner. (Glad I got that off my chest!!)

Paraplanning in Australia is no where near as advanced as it is in the UK and am keen to keep up to date on where you guys take things and to try and get some forward movement here for standards and recognition for Paraplanners as a career rather than a stepping stone to advice.

Am also an avid Spurs supporter and has to be white chocolate for me thanks!

Cheers
    Dylan

• Hi, Richard here.

Have been in the industry since before a lot of you were probably born, Started as an "agent" for the Prudential and then various other life company in sales. The job then was purely sales orientated, only figures counted, no regards to best advice/customer servicing. After converting to an IFA enjoyed a more interesting career for nearly 20 years.

After what I thought was a good move to the Co-op bank IFA division, I realised I had gone back to the dark days of sales, sales, sales.

Paraplanning now for 7 years in the city of London with Christchurch Investment Management, a small boutique discretionary management firm. The world is now all good.

I'm disappointed that you young'uns seem to have no taste whatsoever for the good things in life....everyone knows that a Whisper bar is the worlds best chocolate.

• Hello! Nice to meet you all.

I'm Samantha, I'm a 'junior' Paraplanner in a team of 5 working for Johnston Carmichael Wealth in Scotland (my office is in Elgin). I'm not Scottish and moved up here with my (now) Husband in July 2014. We have a 1 year old Hungarian Wirehaired Viszla named Charlie.

I've been a Paraplanner for about 3.5 years and I'm working my way through exams to get my Diploma and eventually Chartered. I am very keen for there to be a specific Paraplanner qualification and career path that is universally recognised. As a new Paraplanner I want to encourage our industry to support those that are starting out. Many people fall into this career and it's hard to know where to begin. 

I'm not a massive chocolate fan but I do have a sweet tooth and always enjoy a few biscuits with my brew. We have a 'Mary Berry Monday' every week which means someone in the office bakes up a batch of yummy treats to get us through the day!

-SAM
  • Hi I'm Kirsty

Been paraplanning for about 12 years now (that hurt when I worked that figure out in my head just now!). Started off in-house for a couple of local firms until the last one decided to make us all redundant in August 2011 in favour of outsourcing instead. I figured two could play that game so set up South Coast Paraplanning and have been self-employed since then. Coming up to my fifth anniversary this summer which is surely excuse enough for champagne :smiley:

Massive running fan - primarily long distances - about to do my fifth marathon and just set a shiny new PB for Half Marathon distance at the weekend so still buzzing! Clearly all that running means I can eat as much chocolate as I like (Twirls, naturally), although obviously jelly babies trump everything else :wink: 
  • richallumrichallum Administrator
    Hello! Nice to meet you all.

I'm Samantha, I'm a 'junior' Paraplanner in a team of 5 working for Johnston Carmichael Wealth in Scotland (my office is in Elgin). I'm not Scottish and moved up here with my (now) Husband in July 2014. We have a 1 year old Hungarian Wirehaired Viszla named Charlie.

I've been a Paraplanner for about 3.5 years and I'm working my way through exams to get my Diploma and eventually Chartered. I am very keen for there to be a specific Paraplanner qualification and career path that is universally recognised. As a new Paraplanner I want to encourage our industry to support those that are starting out. Many people fall into this career and it's hard to know where to begin. 

I'm not a massive chocolate fan but I do have a sweet tooth and always enjoy a few biscuits with my brew. We have a 'Mary Berry Monday' every week which means someone in the office bakes up a batch of yummy treats to get us through the day!

-SAM
    Mary Berry Monday sounds a great idea.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Hi

I’m Tim and I’m a Chartered Paraplanner at Charles Stanley.  I started paraplanning in 2007, I love the variety the work brings but my favourite subject is Trusts!

I attended my first Powwow last year and found it really useful, it was great to reach out to other paraplanners :-)

Away from work my other passions are reading and football (I travel all over the country to watch Leicester City play home and away)

Also, I can’t actually think of any chocolate I don’t like!

• Hi I am Elsa... 

joining in a bit late... somehow I missed the email sent a few days ago, my mind clearly somewhere else .... 

I work for a small firm of Chartered Planners in Stony Stratford, as a paraplanner and also managing the office. 

Anyone else sitting R06 next week? 

Kinder bueno is my favourite choc... :smile: 

• Hi I am Elsa... 

joining in a bit late... somehow I missed the email sent a few days ago, my mind clearly somewhere else .... 

I work for a small firm of Chartered Planners in Stony Stratford, as a paraplanner and also managing the office. 

Anyone else sitting R06 next week? 

Kinder bueno is my favourite choc... :smile: 

Hello, I'm sitting R06 next week! (waves) along with several colleagues. How are you feeling about it?
  • Hello, I'm Jamie. I realised I'd posted a couple of replies on other threads but not actually formally introduced myself...

I work for a small/medium sized chartered IFA in Hampshire. I've been paraplanning for about 4 years now, and am working towards the advanced diploma and becoming eventually chartered.

My main hobbies are sports of any kind, hiking ridiculous distances, and playing guitar.

Chocolate - any kind that isn't dark!
  • KatMKatM Member
    Hello, I'm Kat and I have been a paraplanner for approximately 1.5 years. I started off as an administrator about 9 years ago, moved on to paraplanning and I am currently taking my DipFA exams. 

Outside of work, I enjoy reading, travelling and going to gigs. As far as favourite chocolate goes, as long as it's dairy free, I will happily eat it!

I look forward to getting to know you all. 
  • Hi everyone, I'm Richard and have been a paraplanner for nearly 3 years. I am level 4 qualified and I am working towards chartered status.

Away from work I am a big football fan. Favourite chocolate has to be Terry's chocolate orange :

• Hi, I'm Kate and have been a paraplanner for 5 years.  I am taking RO3 in June and am working initially towards the Certificate in Paraplanning and then will continue my studies in relevant areas, probably pensions first.  I have ROs 1&2.  I attended the Purely Paraplanning Conference yesterday at AFC Bournemouth which is where I heard about the forum.  Outside work I enjoy sailing, riding and carriage driving.  My favourite everyday chocolate is Galaxy, The 70% quality stuff is nice too when I can get it, Willies Cacoa is pretty good, so is Grenada Chocolate.  The conference was great, good learning points and to meet other paraplanners.
  • AdamPAdamP Member
    Hello all,
     I'm a Diploma-qualified Paraplanner at Pen-Life Associates in York, and relatively new to the profession (entering Financial Services in 2014 and paraplanning since 2015).

I used to work in quantitative market research before deciding to get serious about financial planning as a career. I also run a web-publishing and financial writing business, centered around MagicalPenny.com.

I've written about my journey into paraplanning in Professional Paraplanner Magazine and New Model Adviser and hope to continue writing, interacting and learning from others as I develop this career.

Chocolate is amazing and whilst I appreciate all forms, Dairy Milk is a classic that is good for all occasions.
  • NathNath Member

Hi All

I'm Nathan and I am a Paraplanner at Blue Financial Services in Clifton, Bristol.  I have been Paraplanning for 3 years where I stepped over the fence from my Compliance role at Lighthouse Group (yeah I know...boo/hiss!!).  Prior to this I worked in Discretionary Management and have been in the Financial Services profession for about 14 years.

Was previously a member of the paraplanner forum....how did I not know about this site earlier? I must have missed the memo!!

Look forward to sharing ideas/tips to make all our lives easier and more efficient!!

N

Oh, I forgot the chocolate thing....Terry's Chocolate Orange and Toblerone!

• ZoeZoe Member
    Hi, I'm Zoe and I work for a small firm in South West Wales. I'm relatively new to Paraplanning, I started here as an Administration Assistant about 4 years ago after graduating university and Paraplanning has become an increasing part of my role over time.

I have just signed up for the CISI Principles of Financial Planning exam in June (with the hope of completing the Certificate in Paraplanning) and thought I would have a look around Google to see what info and help I could find out there and I came across this great forum! 

Outside of work I tap dance and Maltesers are my favourite chocolate.
  • BecciJBecciJ Member
    Zoe said:
    Hi, I'm Zoe and I work for a small firm in South West Wales. I'm relatively new to Paraplanning, I started here as an Administration Assistant about 4 years ago after graduating university and Paraplanning has become an increasing part of my role over time.

I have just signed up for the CISI Principles of Financial Planning exam in June (with the hope of completing the Certificate in Paraplanning) and thought I would have a look around Google to see what info and help I could find out there and I came across this great forum! 

Outside of work I tap dance and Maltesers are my favourite chocolate.
    A fellow tap dancer :)

• RalfosRalfos Member
    Hi Im Andy and I too forgot to introduce myself before diving in with questions. :blush: 

I've been paraplanning about 6 months now after a 10 year break from the industry. I was previously an adviser but now my level 3 quals arent sufficient and there have been quote a few budgets since so Ive a lot of cobwebs to blow off. Fortunately the adviser here is Chartered so were somewhat different to most set ups in that the technical expert is the adviser and its the paraplanner who is winging it! 

Picnics or Starbars for me. :smile: 
  • Hello!! My name is Richard.

I am a paraplanner in sunny Dundee but hail from Northern Ireland originally. We are a small office which is great because I get to experience all kinds of clients and work.  I do a lot of general office admin and some of the business accounts stuff as well just for the craic. 

I have been in the industry for a little over 5 years now and I am working towards my diploma in regulated financial planning with the CII.  Just completed my R04 exam last week, and have ordered my R05 text now.

I love all kinds of chocolate, which is a nightmare due to being diabetic.  Love golf, snowboarding and will try almost anything!!
  • ToryTory Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Tory. Just starting out in this job. Took an admin position for an IFA 11 months ago, love it and now working towards my qualifications (just passed RO1 last week) to become a paraplanner. I've had various jobs in-between having children, including serving in the Royal Navy, but I'm really happy to have found a role that I want to carry on doing and learning about for the long term. 

This place looks like an awesome source of knowledge and information.

Love chocolate - all chocolate as well as anything doing sporty.
  • Hi all, I'm Chris and I've been a Paraplanner since 2007. I'm currently looking from a new home so I'm trying to decide whether to work as an in house or go out on my own as a freelance. I'd appreciate any advice that's going to be honest.

On the chocolate front, it's got to be dark and then either salted caramel, salt or chilli added!! Away from work it's cricket that keeps me sane, well as sane as I can be...
  • Good Morning, I am Binay.

I represent B.N.D Consultants, UAE (http://www.bndconsultants.com/). 

We have expertise in Banking, Financial Management, and Corporate Strategy. We offer comprehensive Managerial and Financial solutions. It is great  to be part of such a wonderful forum.

I love Swiss chocolates.

• Hi, I'm Steve and I've been in financial services since 1999 when my first introduction to pensions was in a SSAS department!  I'm 1 exam short of Chartered and looking at ideas for what follows, perhaps the CISI accredited paraplanner designation?  Any thoughts welcome. 

Having worked my way through all sizes of firm I now work in a fairly small IFA firm in Glasgow, where I'm involved in everything from ISAs to DB transfers! 

Outside work I have small holding with a pedigree flock of Zwartbles!  On the chocolate front, its Tunnocks Teacakes!  (not so helpful when I can smell them being baked around the corner...)
  • Claire Goodwin Claire Goodwin Administrator
    edited September 2016
    Hi to all the new people signing up and saying hello! 

Am I the only person who read @SteveC 's comment and googled Zwartble??? 
  • No @Claire Goodwin  I had to do the same thing! I thought my dreams had come true and pokemon were finally real!
  • Hello everyone! If anyone is still reading this page, I'm super late to the party but I'm Rebecca and I work in not-so-sunny Bridgend. I've been paraplanning for nearly 4 years now and have my CII diploma, although we have recently switched allegiance so I have a few CISI exams in the pipeline for the next few months!

Chocolate-wise my favourite bar is the Double Decker, but I once ate four in a row and I can't be trusted with them anymore...
  • richallumrichallum Administrator
    Hi @Rebecca_Tuck We're still reading the page - welcome :smile: 

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Hi to all the new people signing up and saying hello! 

Am I the only person who read @SteveC 's comment and googled Zwartble??? 
    I am a knitter/hand spinner with a keen interest in single flock/native breed wool. I knew immediately what a Zwartble was!

@steveC - do you process the fleeces? I'd love to work with some of your flock's wool.

-SAM
  • Hi all

I'm a paraplanner based in Cheshire.

Love all things sweet and if had to make a choice on the chocolate front it would be a Double Decker, but my true love lies with Jelly babies... They're also a lifesaver when I need a pick me up whilst struggling up some hill in North Wales out mountain biking. Nom nom.

Jonny
    Jonny (paraflex)
  • Hello to all!

I'm a trainee paraplanner at a small IFA firm in the West Midlands. I have R01 & R02 and have just started R03. I'm the first paraplanner my firm has had, and so the training + finding my value has been slow in my first 12 months. I would love to hear more about becoming a competent paraplanner and any tips/ guidance for the transition from trainee to qualified.

For me, you can't beat a Snickers bar.

And I now know what a Zwartble is! Everyday's a school day :)