Alliance Trust

Anyone got any experience of using them?  My research shows they are the cheapest by a long, long way for a big SSAS investment with a largely buy and hold strategy.  0.03% pa vs 0.25% pa where they are.  They've been helpful so far and new website is very good.  We'll use online for values and trading but that's all we'll need.  The team here have had some bad personal experiences but I'm prepared to go with them.  Any views would be appreciated.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

Comments

• amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator
    I've never used them but at that price, there has to be a catch. Absolutely no support?
  • richallumrichallum Administrator
    Support so far has been good.  I would say it's because it's nearly £2m but at fixed charges the size doesn't matter to them!  Going ahead with them as, for this client, we won't need a lot of support unless some simple trades go wrong!  The test will be when we implement, I'll report back.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

I look forward to hearing how it goes!
  • We've placed a few clients here. Mostly people buying property via the SIPP and they've been really good.
    We have been wary of their stability, especially with the ongoing boardroom issues at the end of last year.
    But, so far so good.
  • We did some trades on this the other month and each one had to be input seperately. Was very long winded
  • How did you get on with them Richard? We don't use them much despite being only a 5 minute walk from our office. Had to deal with a DB transfer only a few weeks ago that went pear shaped from day 2 and wasn't impressed.
    Not implemented yet.  Client likes the sound and going ahead but we need to do a few things in the SSAS first. Not good news about your DB transfer.

• Sounds like you're still in the Day 1 stage with them. BE good to hear though how day 2 goes.
    Just putting another case to them - 2 ISA transfers.  Told the turnaround for illustrations is 2-3 days :-1: 

• Yikes that doesn't sound good, can they not be then just created on the system online? 

We've given them a wide berth given the recent board unrest and question marks over profitability and therefore ability to continue to function efficiently, but watching this thread with keen interest!
  • I've had a bad personal experience with them....v hard to set up a regular buy for monthly savings (JISA). 
  • Why are you doing illustrations for ISA? Doesn't the KFD have an example to satisfy the exemption criteria in COBS? 
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • After the latest press releases it might be a good time to bring up this topic again!
    Damn platforms keep selling themselves.  Back to Transact before they IPO.

• RalfosRalfos Member
    TOP TIP ALert. I spent 24 mins on the phone waiting for an answer today and eventually pressed '1' for a call back which I assumed would perhaps be in July but was actually 10 mins later. So it appears outbound are less busy than inbound if that helps anyone.....
  • We had a meeting with ATS this morning and the general feeling is that we might take them more seriously in the future as a platform for new business. They seem to have settled their boardroom issues and have invested in new software to make functionality better. 

They are an oddball in the platform space but perhaps change is what is needed to stop platforms being so dull!
  • RalfosRalfos Member
    Arent they also up for sale? Introducing a new platform while up for sale puts this in firmly in our 'avoid' list until the future is clear. Same for AXA Elevate. 
    I'd agree with @Ralfos, if there is any uncertainty over its future, I won't be going anywhere near it with any of our clients. 
  • The guy that came to see us, Damien Smyth, assured us that they are not for sale and won't be sold to anyone in the future. Obviously you can't predict the future, but with Platforms the way they are just now, you couldn't say for certain that any of them will look the same 12 months from now.
  • Interesting, Thanks for sharing
  • PeterMPeterM Member
    Useful article from Finalytiq on the outlook for Alliance Trust Savings.

http://www.finalytiq.co.uk/beginning-end-alliance-trust-savings/
  • That article firms up our company due diligence & opinion of ATS, was very helpful @PeterM . I would welcome a report to the contrary though if such one exists...

It is amazing what a slight peek under the bonnet can give in terms of insight to a business.