JO9 - any advice?

MChristie93MChristie93 Member
edited April 2019 in CPD & Exams

Hi all!

I have just sat RO6 at the start of the month and (assuming I have passed!) I am considering doing JO9 next.

Here are some of my questions:

• The CII give you 12 months for the assignments but is the full year really needed? I am new to paraplanning but have time to commit to the assignments.
  • Has anyone done this unit and also completed an exam at the same time? I would be thinking about the October sitting of this year.
  • Would you recommend getting the CII textbook?
  • How good is the feedback the CII provide for each assignment?
  • Are the assignments difficult?

Any thoughts/ tips on the module would be much appreciated! I would like to crack on with obtaining credits while I'm in exam mode.

Thanks in advance!
Meghan

Comments

• @MChristie93 said:
    Hi all!

I have just sat RO6 at the start of the month and (assuming I have passed!) I am considering doing JO9 next.

• The CII give you 12 months for the assignments but is the full year really needed? I am new to paraplanning but have time to commit to the assignments.
    • Has anyone done this unit and also completed an exam at the same time? I would be thinking about the October sitting of this year.

Any thoughts/ tips on the module would be much appreciated! I would like to crack on with obtaining credits while I'm in exam mode.

Thanks in advance!
    Meghan

One other question - does the CII expect any use of cashflow modelling?

Thanks!

• Hi Meghan,

I can only comment on my experience. I’m doing J09 now. You have a year to do the assignments but can submit as soon as you like. I did 2 assignments in first few months, then stopped to do J02and AF1. Doing final assignment now.

Assignments are quite difficult (but haven’t failed any yet) as it’s not clear what they are after. Feedback is generic, I.e. it isn’t about your work, just based on the marking guidelines which are available on cii website, such as “could have benefited from further reading” etc.

John

• Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I will give it a go and see how I get on! Ideally I would like to get the first 2 submitted early like you and then stop to do an exam but will see what happens.

Good luck with the final assignment :smile:

Meghan

• @MChristie93 said:
    Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
    Meghan

Hello,

I have just completed my diploma in regulated financial planning and am now looking to complete the advanced diploma.

I am thinking of starting with J09 too to build up my credits, have you started this yet?

Megan x

• I successfully completed J09 in 2017. I would say that you could do one exam alongside the coursework if you wanted. Speaking from experience though it does pretty much eat up all of your free time so I would advise to do the first module and see where you are (time-wise) on your 12 months and take it from there.
    Good luck !

• Hi @MNLS30_, I have just submitted assignment 1 for J09. I technically started in June and it took me a while to get into the swing of doing assignments again after university but I think now I'm started the next 2 should be okay.

My questions are fine (some more complicated than others) but I don't really know what the CII are after in terms of answers so I need to wait and see what my marks are like. If you are going for the advanced diploma I would say this is a good module to do, it's been easy enough to slot into my schedule and I'm hoping to complete an exam in April on top of J09.

Good luck if you do start it :smile:

• Hi everyone! I have just got my result for my first assignment and failed. I have paid for the CII re-mark, as this is the only way to get written feedback!!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any external companies who provide help with J09? I am a bit concerned for my next 2 assignments since I thought I had covered everything required for the first one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

• @MChristie93 said:
    Hi everyone! I have just got my result for my first assignment and failed. I have paid for the CII re-mark, as this is the only way to get written feedback!!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any external companies who provide help with J09? I am a bit concerned for my next 2 assignments since I thought I had covered everything required for the first one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Hi MChristie93,

Sorry I don't know of any companies that help with J09, like ChelleJackson I also passed in 2017. I did contact a couple of companies at the time but they all said that they didn't provide J09 support yet. CII feedback is awful, hopefully the paid option is more helpful!

I'm just about to sit R06 and am seeing a few similarities between the two, mainly bullet points! When writing J09 I basically sat down, counted the marks and did the same number of bullet points related to the question plus a couple more. Really kept wording to a minimum on each bullet in order to get as many points as possible squashed in.

Also sat down with the J09 book next to me whilst going through the questions and a copy of the syllabus to try and relate each bullet point back to the syllabus somehow. I can't remember if the questions tell you which syllabus point they are looking at or not.

Hope this helps a bit, I remember getting so frustrated at the lack of support with J09!

Good luck!

• @MChristie93 said:
    Hi @MNLS30_, I have just submitted assignment 1 for J09. I technically started in June and it took me a while to get into the swing of doing assignments again after university but I think now I'm started the next 2 should be okay.

My questions are fine (some more complicated than others) but I don't really know what the CII are after in terms of answers so I need to wait and see what my marks are like. If you are going for the advanced diploma I would say this is a good module to do, it's been easy enough to slot into my schedule and I'm hoping to complete an exam in April on top of J09.

Good luck if you do start it :smile:

Hi MChristie,

How have you got on? I am just about to book the module! I haven't done coursework in a very long time so I am worried!

Megan x

• Hi MChristie,

How have you got on? I am just about to book the module! I haven't done coursework in a very long time so I am worried!

Megan x

What's it like, Megan? Debating taking J09 more for the s's & g's tbh but interested nontheless,
    Charles..

• @Charplan , I have only just completed question 1/3 for Assignment 1 and i am finding it harder than i thought it would be.

It is hard to pin point what it is they want as the word count for some of the questions isn't much at all!

• Hello, I'm also in the process of doing the J09 exam and struggling to find any additional support. Unfortunately, I have failed the first assignment twice now. Having took a difference stance on the second resubmission, (using more bullet points etc. to get the info in) I received the exact same marks and feedback, which was a little disappointing. I have paid for a remark to get some detailed feedback on where I am going wrong. I'm holding back on the second and third assignment until I get this. Hopefully third time lucky for assignment 1!

For anyone that's completed and successfully passed the J09 module, do you have any tips in terms of what the examiners are looking for / how to answer the questions? Alternatively, any old model answers etc.

• Hi there,
    Is there anyone available to help with J09? Specifically with regards to the technical report for the adviser? I agree with the above, I'm struggling to find any resources.
    Thank you,
    Amy