Group Protection For Self Employed Barristers

Good morning, 

I help with the running of a group protection scheme for a large chamber of barristers, and have come across a potential new scheme via referral, but it appears now that no insurance providers want to offer terms! Has anyone written group protection recently for a barrister scheme or similar, where the members are self employed?

Really struggling!

Comments

• RalfosRalfos Member
    I havent but I met with Lutine recently regarding a big ex  pat case and they told me they love group stuff and individually underwrite everything so are fairly flexible. 
  • BecciJBecciJ Member
    Lutine are a good bet as per Ralfos' comment. They have their own underwriters and generally you should be able to get through to an underwriter to discuss the case. Would the chamber pay for individual relevant life on each members? Might be more costly? Or we have found Unum can be good with complex schemes.
  • Thanks both. Turns out Lutine do offer it; they were a provider i'd forggoten about so phoned this morning and was met with a resounding 'yes'! 

I believe individual relevant life plans for barristers are completely unworkable for a wide variety of reasons (the intricacies of a barrister/chambers relationship and how premiums are paid being the main issue).

Unum is the provider we use for the big scheme that is already running, but they won't touch new ones with a barge pole as it is now believed to be a bigger risk to them. They've offered group income protection, which works to a degree, but the client is looking for all three types of cover.
  • BecciJBecciJ Member
    Great. Pleased you have a solution.