AF4

Hi

I am planning on taking AF4 in April 2017. Can anyone recommend any study material as the book does not seem to be much use. I used Expert Pensions for AF3 but it seems like their prices have now gone up quite a lot. Is there more a cost effective solution?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi Richard. I have been told to look at J10, discretionary investment management, and even take that exam close to the AF4 sitting as that is meant to build on the R02 knowledge and covers most of the type of questions that AF4 will ask. Fidelity also run a revision day at their offices in London which has been recommended before so that might be worth a look. The past exam paper questions always help as they tend to build into a pattern so you'll know what to expect (to a degree - though I heard that this strategy didn't help for AF3 this time round!) 
  • The AF books are based on the J and R exams before it.  The J teaches the theory and the AF asks you to put it into practice.  When I sat the AFs, the J books were included in the RevisionMate website as an e-document.  Have you looked there?

In fact - I couldn't resist reading the syllabus to check I was right and it gives this info in the reading list:

CII study texts Discretionary investment management. London: CII. Study text J10. Investment principles and risk. London: CII. Study text R02. Investment planning. London: CII. Case study workbook AF4. All the above texts are included as electronic resources within AF4 RevisionMate (www.revisionmate.com).

Like the advice Jamie was given, I sat the J/R exams in the same week as the AF ones so I could use the overlap in one go.

• That's really useful. Thank you :smile: 
  • I used expert pension for af1 and I'm also sitting af4 in April 2017. Like others here I intend to sit j10 in the run up to it, and also j12 (just because of similarities in the syllabus and they are all FCA relevant qualifications) 

To be honest, I haven't seen the new prices on expert pensions but what I paid was great value so I would probably pay a bit more. 

There's obviously aviva academy resources for the regulated diploma level stuff, also if you're a 360 member they have some decent workbooks that strip out key parts of the CII text. And brandft mock papers are great, used them to great effect with CF8 a fee weeks ago. 
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • I used expert pension for af1 and I'm also sitting af4 in April 2017. Like others here I intend to sit j10 in the run up to it, and also j12 (just because of similarities in the syllabus and they are all FCA relevant qualifications) 

To be honest, I haven't seen the new prices on expert pensions but what I paid was great value so I would probably pay a bit more. 

There's obviously aviva academy resources for the regulated diploma level stuff, also if you're a 360 member they have some decent workbooks that strip out key parts of the 
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • PeterMPeterM Member
    edited August 2016
    I used r02 and j10 when I sat the exam back in 2012 (I think, it might have been 2013)

I mainly used pass papers from the cii for AF 4 but it is worth looking over ro2 and J10 for questions with calculations in them as well.

To be honest with you have passed ro2 then you will be able to pass af4 it is the easiest of the AF exams. 
  • I had a look at what they offered - which route did you take Richard/Ben? The Study Plan? Workshops are no good for me but the Notes Plan seems similar to Brand, so thinking the middle one might be most useful.
  • benjaminfabibenjaminfabi Moderator
    edited August 2016
    I got in on the previous packages so it was somewhere between the first two options. I got video modules, which were very helpful, but I paid about £240inc vat. I think the revised prices and content will justify the price: it is quality stuff. However, John is a good guy and it's worth asking if you could trade up from the first package if you liked it. 

One thing I would say is that the forum access is a must. I expect this will be included at all price points but do check because I spent a lot of time in there with other people and I wouldn't have passed without it! That alone would be worth the difference between this and brand ft. 
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • I did like the thought of the forum Ben. It's why I find the Big Tent so helpful. Thanking you.
  • I just purchased the notes and did get access to the forum (not sure if you still do). John has got some videos on youtube which were also very helpful.
  • Big thanks for pointing me in the direction of Expert Pensions Ben. They were really helpful and we've actually signed up for a corporate package.