How do you store your documents

No... I don't mean paper! We are reviewing how we store digital client files/emails etc and would love to hear how other people are doing it. We've started to use iO's documents but it isn't perfect and doesn't quite fit the bill on the email front... We use Teams/Sharepoint/Onedrive/365 extensively for other bits and pieces.
I'd love to hear what you are using, what you think of it, what works well and what doesn't. Getting a sense of what others are doing will really help the team here.
Thank you in advance
Dan :-)

Dan Atkinson FPFS CFP APP Chartered FCSI
Chartered Financial Planner
Certified Financial Planner
Head of Technical at Paradigm Norton

Twitter: https://twitter.com/danatkinsonuk
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danatkinsonuk/

Comments

• We currently use Volume which I find to be quite useful and it is very easy to navigate documents on it.

• OneDrive for me - includes 1TB free for MS 365 subscribers, which meets my needs perfectly, at least for now. I get Sharepoint as well, and I have some stuff on there too which I see as my archive, and don't really need to access it on a day to day basis

• We use primarily use OneDrive for internal documents etc.... but for client docs, we use our back office system, FinPlan. I must admit, I do think having the client files on the back office system is the best solution as everything is in one place

Caroline

• We currently use iO although I agree it is a little clunky and little more than a folder filing system like you'd use in Windows/iOS.

I've used Volume before and think it's a game changer. It's the closest thing to having a paper file on your screen, as you have the ability to 'flick through' scanned documents without having to open and close multiple documents like you do with normal filing systems. Hard to explain, so get a demo and you'll see what I mean.

The issue is that to make Volume work properly you've got to invest in setting it up properly and investing in a decent dual sided scanner.

Jonny (paraflex)
  • Volume for us and iO portal to share documents with client where we can.

• @Suse1969 said:
    Volume for us and iO portal to share documents with client where we can.

Would you be open to me picking your brains at some point Suse on how you use Volume alongside iO? We're heavy iO users and there is a reluctance to use a document management system alongside iO, but my argument is you can't compare iOs document storage against something like Volume - like apples and oranges!

Jonny (paraflex)
  • Of course. And yes you're quite right it's not comparing like with like. Drop me an email and we can set up a time? susan.pringle@hlfp.co.uk

• Hi Dan, it's been a while since I used it but I would recommend you request a demo of Virtual Cabinet.

https://www.virtualcabinet.com/

• Does Volume allow you to email the document via Outlook and/or even secure the document first and add it to a client portal?

That's what's missing from IO documents (the ability to email it without downloading it first).

• Yes, and you can password protect it in a PDF format when sending the email. The pages you want to send need to be in what call a poly pocket but it means you can send multiple pages. Quality isn't as good as the original PDF . If I was adding it to the Intelligent Office portal, I'd add the original PDF as I wouldn't need to secure it.