Recommend me an office chair

Like you all, I've been working from home lately. Sitting on a tatty fold up chair means my lower back is starting to ache.

Can anybody recommend a decent office chair, for home use? It sounds like a simple decision but there is such a wide range available priced anywhere between £50-£1,200!!

I want a decent one as i'll be spending a lot of time on it! I think I want a swivel chair with mesh back, so I don't get sweaty back syndrome in the summer.

If anyone has any experience of using companies like 2NDHND who refurbish used chairs, that could be an option....

I would go out and try some but you know..... :/

Comments

• richallumrichallum Administrator

Herman Miller Aero. I got a 2nd hand one (it was 6 months old at the time) 5 years ago. Came as good as new with long warranty. Still perfect.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Thanks Richard. I think second hand is the way to go. I've been looking at 2ndhnd.com who have a good reputation and some good ergonomic chairs in good condition.

Worth paying for a decent one or i'll be spending it on chiropractor fees instead!

• Slightly off the topic of chairs, but possibly just as important. I was doing some quite intensive figure work one day, and at the end of that my neck was really stiff. This was because my monitors were too low.

I invested in a stand for my monitors, and it's really handy as I now have extra storage space that I didn't have before. The width is adjustable (obviously within parameters) and I have not had any neck pain since.

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure that your workspace is comfortable, your monitor(s) is(are) the right height, and you have plenty of gin, I mean tea, to hand :smiley:

• richallumrichallum Administrator

That's a really good point. My office has a stand but at home I'm using all the business books I've never read to raise the height.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Another vote for second hand Herman Miller chairs.

• Thanks all. Went for a second hand (ex-demo) Humanscale Liberty for a bargain price.

Instantly better than what I was using, although i'm not sure i'd pay the astronomical full price to be honest!