CF1 and/or R01

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I suppose I'm still learning about para planning and financial planning in general. I have sat several CII exams already, namely LP2, FA2, and R01, R02, R05 and was wondering what the difference is between CF1 and R01?

I know a lot of the content overlaps each other but I was wondering if there is any benefit for having both CF1 and R01 or is having either one sufficientor is R01 considered a "better" one to have?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but tried to figure this out but still in 2 minds about this.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Comments

• Hi Elaine

First of all, a warm welcome to the Big Tent!

The difference between CF1 and R01 is the exam level. CF1 is certificate level and is a great 'entry level' exam which is normally one of the first that people take when they start in financial services. R01 is the diploma level exam. Due to it's higher level, it is more in depth, and importantly, counts towards the level 4 Diploma in (Regulated) Financial Planning.

You already have R01 so there is no real need to take CF1 at the moment. If you can, I would suggest you push on with R03, R04 and the written R06 which will complete your Diploma (with the other exams you already have).

When you get your diploma you have a whole other decision to make; whether to continue your studies or stick with the diploma, and we can save that chat for a later date!

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies :smile:

• Hi Andy!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Your post has been a huge help, and clarified loads for me, and I will definitely be looking to continue with the diploma exams, although personally I am thinking of taking R04 first before R03 and then onto R06.

Thank you again for your help! It is greatly appreciated! :)
  • CaroCaro Member

Hi Elaine, welcome to the big Tent and Paraplanning :)

Well done on the exams you've passed so far, you are well on your way there!

I don't know if this will help but there is a booklet that the PFS put together on exams that are useful for paraplanning. There's obviously many routes you can take, this points out just one, but hopefully it will be helpful to you.

If you'd like to have a chat though, always happy to have a natter! :)

https://www.thepfs.org/media/10122021/getting-you-started-in-paraplanning.pdf