CV Help

Hello,

I really need some help updating my CV. I'm looking to relocate with my family and need to apply for jobs. I haven't updated my CV for around 5 years and it doesn't include my current role as a trainee Paraplanner. 

So what I'm really asking is- CV do's and don't's, any tips welcome :)

Comments

• richallumrichallum Administrator
    As an employer of paraplanners, here's what makes CVs stand out for me:
    • Make it look good and read well; a lot of your time will be spent preparing stuff clients will read so you need to shine here
    • Avoid the normal CV jargon.  "Highly motivated, self starter passionate about paraplanning" etc.  Might as well say "I can parrot jargon as I think it'll get me a job".  It doesn't.
    • Make it personal to the company and job you're applying for. 
    • Have a personal statement that links your qualities to the job/company. This shows you've researched us and have invested some time to make yourself stand out rather than using a scatter gun approach.
    • Includes something personal and quirky that will stand out to the reader but think about it.  One applicant here went straight to the next stage because they researched me and us and put on their CV what their favourite chocolate was.  That shows initiative, good thinking and personality.  Those are skills people have and you can't really teach.  I can teach you about pensions but it's the personal qualities that really matter.
    Hope that helps.  Happy to have a look at a draft at yours if you like, as long as you can take the feedback in the way it's intended :smiley: 

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it, I've been struggling for over an hour tonight. It's easier to write a client report than a CV. I would love to take you up on your offer to view it when I've finished, although I'm not sure I will ever think it's done. :)
  • richallumrichallum Administrator
    Get it so it's good enough or else you'll never have it done :wink: Happy to take a look at a draft in any state and give you feedback.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• I'm in a slightly different situation as I'm being made redundant from a product provider after just over 5 years, and looking to get back into paraplanning.  I don't know if the last 5 years will be seen as a black mark, although I have just passed R02 and ordered R03 (which will complete my diploma).  Do you have any tips or pitfalls to be aware of?
  • I doubt your experience will count against you. Most important thing is how the relevant experience from that job maps to the role of paraplanner. Being that close to Diploma will be a plus IMO: I'd expect you to be a bit less expensive to recruit than someone with the full qualification and obviously much cheaper to fund training for.

I would add the following:
    • make sure that you really do understand what is expected of the paraplanner role that you apply for
    • sell the experience that you gained with the product provider as it directly relates to the role, highlight key areas where you think that your knowledge is strong
    • you say that you want to 'get back into paraplanning'. Be prepared to answer questions about why you got out of paraplanning. Is it what you definitely want to do now?
    Good luck
    Benjamin Fabi