R06 July 2019

Hi,

I am doing the R06 exam in July and am just wondering what everyone's revision method is?

Comments

• Have you done the other R0's recently? And do you work in the industry day-to-day?

If so, it's a cramming session once you have the case study, for me.

There's also some companies who also buy the exam so they can tell you what they think the questions and answers will be.

• SW1990SW1990 Member

Ive just done R06 in April and I used the Brand analysis which comes out 10 days before, which "predicts" possible questions and the answers expected for the exam. I also done some extra research on the case study of my own and used previous CII exam case studys which are on their website

Good luck :)

• MNLS30_MNLS30_ Member

Hi, thank you for your feedback!

• I wouldn't suggest my option but I can help with past papers if you need them

• Me too, I can't seem to find 30 credits worth of stuff to do which makes me wonder if I misunderstand what I'm meant to be doing. Maybe that credits thing is just silly and there's no way it will be 3x R04.

• J05 is similar to R04; it's just written instead of multiple choice. Written exams are scary after such a long time of not doing them but a good way to ease you into AF exams, if that is your goal

• R06 is designed to be a combination of the previous 5 R0's in a way that is different. It's written not computer-based.

You are given a case study and effectively provide advice to the fictitious client.

If you've passed the first 5 exams there's less text book study to be done (but you will still want to refresh some areas i'm sure). You will need to decide which areas you think you are less confident in.

You will also spend more time with this exam, working on your exam technique, the way you approach and answer the questions is just as important as getting the right answers.

Make sure you use the keywords the examiner is looking for. Make sure you don't waffle on, use bullet points. Make sure you state the bleeding obvious etc etc.

I think the extra credits are justified for R06. But if you are well prepared it needn't be too daunting. I actually enjoyed this one the most.

• I narrowly failed r06 in April and I’m resitting it in July (missed the deadline to sign for the last one without paying the ridiculous late fee). I’m kicking myself as I definitely failed as I failed to turn over the last page and missed quite a few questions which I realised at the 2mins to end point. I scrabbled to write something but it wasn’t enough to scrape through.

In preparation last time I went over the r06 study guide first which unlike others I did think was quite useful. I also bought the wizard resources and went over lots of their past papers in the weeks before and crammed their solution in the last week. I thought it was quite good (and they give you all the previous ones) which is loads of resource to be going on with I probably won’t get through them all before I switch to the real case studies. My method has been to try the qs then look at their answer and also after write in every answer I missed hopefully slowly remembering more and more as I try similar question topics repeatedly. In the spirit of trying different resources I’m trying the brand one this time to compare (not received yet). If I move on to level 6 ones I might try expert pensions resources too.

• @esthomizzy said:
    I narrowly failed r06 in April and I’m resitting it in July (missed the deadline to sign for the last one without paying the ridiculous late fee). I’m kicking myself as I definitely failed as I failed to turn over the last page and missed quite a few questions which I realised at the 2mins to end point. I scrabbled to write something but it wasn’t enough to scrape through.

In preparation last time I went over the r06 study guide first which unlike others I did think was quite useful. I also bought the wizard resources and went over lots of their past papers in the weeks before and crammed their solution in the last week. I thought it was quite good (and they give you all the previous ones) which is loads of resource to be going on with I probably won’t get through them all before I switch to the real case studies. My method has been to try the qs then look at their answer and also after write in every answer I missed hopefully slowly remembering more and more as I try similar question topics repeatedly. In the spirit of trying different resources I’m trying the brand one this time to compare (not received yet). If I move on to level 6 ones I might try expert pensions resources too.

this is also my exam technique! attempting the questions, looking at the model answers and highlighting the ones i missed. I will be using Brand analysis and im trying Redmill Advance this time round too.

• AmyLGAmyLG Member
    I am sitting RO6 tomorrow and suddenly feel really worried. At the advice of some colleagues i have only really looked at and learnt the BrandFt questions since they came out (25+ on each case study). I will go back over some of the CII papers tonight to check how they word things.
  • Clare_WeightClare_Weight Member
    edited July 2019
    > @esthomizzy said:
    > I narrowly failed r06 in April and I’m resitting it in July (missed the deadline to sign for the last one without paying the ridiculous late fee). I’m kicking myself as I definitely failed as I failed to turn over the last page and missed quite a few questions which I realised at the 2mins to end point. I scrabbled to write something but it wasn’t enough to scrape through.
    >
    > In preparation last time I went over the r06 study guide first which unlike others I did think was quite useful. I also bought the wizard resources and went over lots of their past papers in the weeks before and crammed their solution in the last week. I thought it was quite good (and they give you all the previous ones) which is loads of resource to be going on with I probably won’t get through them all before I switch to the real case studies. My method has been to try the qs then look at their answer and also after write in every answer I missed hopefully slowly remembering more and more as I try similar question topics repeatedly. In the spirit of trying different resources I’m trying the brand one this time to compare (not received yet). If I move on to level 6 ones I might try expert pensions resources too.

Oh god, I'm now wondering if I failed to turn over last page and missed questions! Last question (July 19 sitting) was 8 factors next annual review right?
  • AmyLGAmyLG Member

@Clare_Weight said:
    > @esthomizzy said:
    > I narrowly failed r06 in April and I’m resitting it in July (missed the deadline to sign for the last one without paying the ridiculous late fee). I’m kicking myself as I definitely failed as I failed to turn over the last page and missed quite a few questions which I realised at the 2mins to end point. I scrabbled to write something but it wasn’t enough to scrape through.
    >
    > In preparation last time I went over the r06 study guide first which unlike others I did think was quite useful. I also bought the wizard resources and went over lots of their past papers in the weeks before and crammed their solution in the last week. I thought it was quite good (and they give you all the previous ones) which is loads of resource to be going on with I probably won’t get through them all before I switch to the real case studies. My method has been to try the qs then look at their answer and also after write in every answer I missed hopefully slowly remembering more and more as I try similar question topics repeatedly. In the spirit of trying different resources I’m trying the brand one this time to compare (not received yet). If I move on to level 6 ones I might try expert pensions resources too.

Oh god, I'm now wondering if I failed to turn over last page and missed questions! Last question (July 19 sitting) was 8 factors next annual review right?

Yes that was the last question - I thought the same, but there was nothing over the page and then the tax tables. How do you think it went?

• Hi Amy, I made a conservative estimate of 96 marks. So hopefully I've done enough unless I completely misunderstood a major question!
    I didn't have much to say about multi manager funds and I couldn't work out what all the marks were for on the pmi question, I'd prepared for more comparison type questions. I was disappointed there were no DGT or EIS questions as I'd prepared really well for those.
    I detest all the fact finding and comment on questions, well how many marks are allocated to them!
    How did it go for you?
  • There was definitely no overleaf issue this time (I checked like 5 times) and I think someone else must have grumbled at them as there was also a disclaimer at the end saying this is the end of the questions (in bold).

I also thought it was a shame they didn’t bother with EIS and DGT and instead went for investment bonds (I was determined to say she could use DGT with underlying investment bonds just in case). I didn’t think to try and count my marks but I was still scribbling in extra possible things right until the end so fingers crossed this time. I think I feel as confident about most of my answers as last time and I definitely didn’t miss any this time so hopefully it’ll be ok and I’ll scrape by.

• That sounds positive Elmy, you weren't far off last time after all! I'm glad there weren't any calcs my calculator (used recently) died as soon as I tried to switch it on. We'll be swapping congratulations on results day I'm sure!
  • AmyLGAmyLG Member

@Clare_Weight said:
    Hi Amy, I made a conservative estimate of 96 marks. So hopefully I've done enough unless I completely misunderstood a major question!
    I didn't have much to say about multi manager funds and I couldn't work out what all the marks were for on the pmi question, I'd prepared for more comparison type questions. I was disappointed there were no DGT or EIS questions as I'd prepared really well for those.
    I detest all the fact finding and comment on questions, well how many marks are allocated to them!
    How did it go for you?

Hi Clare, that sounds positive, I'm sure you will get it.

I was a bit disappointed about the lack of EIS question, and also that from the memory the question about Ltd Company or Sole Trader was only worth 4 points, because it focused on the tax and NI treatment, instead of the other benefits and advantages. I don't think I did very well on the multi manager question.

Leaving the exam, I felt confident but as time has gone on, the confidence has gone down. I definitely missed a few simple things off the fact find type questions, which is frustrating more than anything. With Brandt or CII they give so many example answers, but they don't cover every possible answer, so hoping to pick up a few "uncovered" answers.

It is a relief knowing that nothing else can be done until result day on 15th/16th August. Fingers crossed everybody gets the marks they need.