AF1 and JO2

Hi all!

I have just passed RO6 and obtained my Diploma so I am looking at starting the path to Chartered and the bigger Advanced exams!!

I am a newbie in the industry (only 3 years out of uni) and as such, I don't have a lot of prior/ on the job knowledge, so my learning is all very much from scratch.

Has anyone sat both JO2 and AF1 at the same time and can you give me an honest opinion on how you found doing this? It's my understanding that the syllabuses are similar and so it seems to make sense to do them at the same time, but I don't know if I am giving myself too much work by attempting both in October. Also, what additional resources (if any) did everyone use, I have seen a few mentions of the Expert Pensions study notes?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks
Meghan

Comments

• Hi Meghan

If I could have my time again I would definitely sit J and AF papers at the same time. It is basically the same syllabus, but the exams have a slightly different application of the knowledge. You can get a feel for the differences looking at the past papers.

I didn't sit J02 and AF1 together, but when I did AF4 I did J10 and J12 a couple of weeks later. I didn't spend significantly longer revising and the workbooks for the diploma level papers had loads of extra details relevant to the AF4 exam.

If I were you, I'd go for it. If you find the process ok then you'll dramatically reduce the time you take to get loads of credits and you won't have to learn it again.

I have used Expert Pensions and BrandFT. Both very good.

Benjamin Fabi 
  • I think it is a no brainer to do AF1 and JO2 together. In the RO papers, trusts are only dealt with very lightly and you will potentially need to know a great deal more for AF1.

For example, my colleague took AF1 and the vast majority of it was trust related. He had done a load of past papers and there was very little trust knowledge required in any of these papers. He said if he hadn't done JO2 it was unlikely he would have passed AF1. One word of warning, AF1 and JO2 were on the same day in April, 5 hours of writing!

• Good Evening

I also plan to sit J02 & AF1 at the same time in October. A study buddy would be great!

If anyone has any additional study aids I would greatly appreciate them!

Best

Scott

• Hi All!

Thank you very much for your feedback/ advice. I have decided to tackle both JO2 and AF1 in April next year, hopefully that gives me plenty of time to prepare both for the actual content and the process of sitting 2 exams so close together!

Good luck @Scottlaw52, if you need a study buddy for April 2020 let me know, but I'm sure you will pass both in October :)

• Hello,

Just a heads up that I recently sat both and found that J02 did not relate to AF1 in the same way that my previous two did (AF7 and J05). I would advise checking out the past papers for both to get an idea of what I mean.

As an example, I remember one of the J02 questions being "name the trustee act which gave trustees the power to..." which feels to me more like a law based exam than financial planning.

Good luck either way!

• dmuj94dmuj94 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

I’m also booked in for J02 and AF1 in October, would be useful to get any suggestion or tips for doing this.

I have only just recently become diploma qualified and this will be my first AF exam so a study buddy would be useful!

Jen

> @Scottlaw52 said:
    > Good Evening
    >
    > I also plan to sit J02 & AF1 at the same time in October. A study buddy would be great!
    >
    > If anyone has any additional study aids I would greatly appreciate them!
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Scott