AF5 Case Study 2019 - Now released

For anyone taking this you can find the fact find https://www.cii.co.uk/learning/qualifications/assessment-information/before-the-exam/supporting-exam-documents/
If anyone is using the brand material give me a shout nathan.jones@bluewealth.co.uk as we may be able to help each other!
N

Comments

• Looks like a lot to go on in that. Quickly skimming through, I'd be thinking about:

• BTL property, funding and the taxation and offset of mortgage payments for a HRT, therefore ownership considerations (plus usual pros and cons).
    • those corporate bonds and how they'll be taxed
    • pension contributions to reduce income tax (and maybe VCT given risk profile but for the exam only, not real life!), salary sacrifice for the pension, taking less salary and more divs,
    • Inability to use marriage allowance and PETs created if/when transferring taxable assets between them
    • National Insurance credits and the circumstances in which they're given and claimed.
    • Issues around not having a will, especially as unmarried
    • Issues around having an I/O mortgage and it's repayment - tax on large pension withdrawals
    • Protection gap
    • benefits/drawbacks of pension consolidation

Good luck to everyone studying for this, especially if it's getting you over the line for Chartered.

Benjamin Fabi 
  • NathNath Member

Cheers Benjamin, yep last one for Chartered for me so desperate to nail this one first time. It's not the nicest of fact finds I must admit. Can we advise them to get married in the recommendations and justify question :)
    Agree with all of the above.

• What's the textbook answer to the question of diversifying asset-classes across product types?

Sally has Global Equity ISAs and Fixed Interest Pension - this is probably OK altogether, but do CII want diversification in each product?

• NathNath Member

Good question Aron. I have a feeling it will be 'Sally is an adventurous investor, therefore, fixed interest pension does not match ATR'

• > @Nath said:
    > Good question Aron. I have a feeling it will be 'Sally is an adventurous investor, therefore, fixed interest pension does not match ATR'

Agree.
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • Anyone ordered exam support material from Verridian for AF5 April 2019? I've been trying to contact them to chase up my order, but none of the phone lines are ringing. Has the company gone bust? Anyone recommend an alternative provider for revision support at the nth hour? Thanks in advance.