Infrastructure Funds

Our investment committee is considering introducing an allocation to infrastructure in lieu of our allocation to property.

There seems to be a bit of a 'flavour of the month' thing with infrastructure at the moment around it being a good diversifier to equities and predictable source of income. Also, some seem to be treating it as a new asset class separate to property and equities. I'm not convinced and not sure whether it should just be considered another specific equity sector.

Has anybody else done similar with their CIPs or model portfolios? Anyone got any thoughts on infrastructure as an asset class?

Jonny (paraflex)

Comments

• We have some exposure in our portfolios. We have exposure to both infrastructure equity funds which perform much like a global equity fund, albeit typically with lower volatility and investment trusts, which look like more of a pure infrastructure play.

I'm not sure they are flavour of the month per se. A firm I worked in 6 years ago were investing in GCP and HICL. We call it infrastructure and are held in the alternatives bucket. Maybe the easiest way to access is via a fund of funds- see Foresight or Gravis.

• Thanks Tom. Yeah, Foresight and Gravis are the two we've been looking at as the easiest way to get exposure. Agree with the alternatives label; makes more sense.

Jonny (paraflex)
  • I've held the VT UK Infrastructure Income Fund in my pension for a while now and been really impressed with it. Happy to share my contact if you want?