Truth versus Voyant

Does anyone out there have experience of using Voyant and Truth?

There are lots of opinions of each one individually, but it would be useful to hear from people who have used both as to what they think are the main differences, positives, negatives and which one they would prefer.

Comments

• amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator
    Yes, I do.

We started donig cashflow using Truth but changed to Voyant 9 months ago (or thereabouts).

The primary reason for this was the length of time it took to input data into Truth and to extricate reports at the other end.

We have found Voyant to be a much slicker system both in terms of the ease of input, the overall interface (for our use and with clients) and the simplicity/variety of reports available.

I don't know the precise figures but my colleagues would definitely say that moving from Truth to Voyant has reduced the time it takes us to do any cashflow exercise with clients.

I hope this helps!

Andy
  • Thanks Andy, that seems quite the compliment for Voyant. I imagine it was a big decision to move from one provider to the other.

I have some experience with Voyant and it seems intuitive - but there are some die-hard fans of Truth out there and I thought I ought to check if I was missing a trick before we move to use Voyant with more of our clients (instead of our in-house Excel tool).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jo

• We trialled both side by side. Part is personal preference and style. We found Voyant more intuitive and preferred the graphical interface- especially in front of clients.
    Dan Atkinson FPFS CFP APP Chartered FCSI
    Chartered Financial Planner
    Certified Financial Planner
    Head of Technical at Paradigm Norton

Twitter: https://twitter.com/danatkinsonuk
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danatkinsonuk/
  • richallumrichallum Administrator
    We use both of them (as well as others) and agree with the above.  Voyant is, in my opinion, nicer to use but Truth has the edge in terms of technical calculations and not needing the workarounds that Voyant does for some situations.  Truth has better support but Voyant getting better.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Have used both extensively.
    Not used Truth now for about 2 years so cannot comment on any more recent revisions / upgrades.
    Both can require masses of detailed input or you can significantly reduce the amount of input - depends on how much detail you want to carry through from other sources (and also understand that Truth can be part of a more integrated system with Prestwood which does hold much more data)
    So you can make life easy or complicated.
    Both have pros and cons and you get used to 'work arounds' which are needed via both from time to time.
    Generally I do prefer the visual outputs from Voyant; Truth allowed me to out put actual tax calcs very easily.
    Currently using Voyant and have no issues with the way it works and outputs for clients.

I've never been an advocate of using Truth / Voyant in front of a client; personally I think its a really bad idea.

Either way they are much better (in my view) than a spreadsheet (which is what I used before taking on Truth) and well worth the cost.

• amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator
    JoCHague said:

Thanks Andy, that seems quite the compliment for Voyant. I imagine it was a big decision to move from one provider to the other.

I have some experience with Voyant and it seems intuitive - but there are some die-hard fans of Truth out there and I thought I ought to check if I was missing a trick before we move to use Voyant with more of our clients (instead of our in-house Excel tool).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jo

To be honest, it wasn't that hard a decision to make. We loved what Truth could do, we just didn't love the way it went about it and the time it took us to do it. We blagged a decent free trial with Voyant and found it to be much slicker at doing what we wanted. 

As others have said, like most things, it really comes down to personal preference.

Andy
  • Thanks all. Very helpful.  We're going to move forward with Voyant past the 'trial' stages.  I'll miss my faithful spreadsheet though :-(