Cash Flow training

In short, anyone that provides training on cash flow forecasting, either run as a course or 1-1 training?

Slightly longer version, I use Cash Calc for individual pieces of work where I think it might be of use to facilitate a conversation for my advisor, whom I am very fortunate to be married to, even though sometimes financial services becomes a domestic. Having tried to prove its usefulness over the past few years, my advisor is finally coming round to wanting to understand more about it and learn the practicalities from an advisor's point of view in front of a client and it certainly wouldn't hurt for me to learn more about the technical 'doing it' bit, because although I'm pretty good at working stuff out, there is always that not knowing what you don't know thing lurking in dark corners of my mind.

Comments

• Have you tried contacting CashCalc and asking them for help? You pay for their service so I expect they must provide training, etc

• I haven't yet but they are on my list of people to get in touch with. They have a lot of guides on the website. I just thought I'd see if there are any independent courses/training out there as well. Cash flow is very fashionable at the moment and everyone and their dog says they are doing it, but on the face of it, not loads of training on how to do it properly.

• Andy Hart runs independent training for Voyant - https://www.thevoyantist.com/

Voyant themselves will will also provide good training if you buy with them.

• richallumrichallum Administrator

We've run training on 'why use cash flow - the benefits to you and your clients'. It's system agnostic. This is an old version of it - slides only not the wisdom that you get when I do it live! Forgive the spam comments, just seen those and about to whip the web team.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• What I most struggle with is implementing cash flow models into an advice report.

Voyant, for example, leaves you with 30-odd reports/charts (at a guess) and so I struggle to identify what's best to include in the body of the report and how much explaining to do.

On the one extreme I can dump in a 'savings over time' chart and nothing else.

At the other end I could add 5/6 reports and 2/3 pages of explanation to each.

...I'd love to see examples of good implementation.

• We dont include voyant in the report. Voyant is used in adviser / client meetings to drive discussions, educate and prioritise (i.e. financial planning).

The report is just dotting the I's and crossing the T's on which product, fund, funding level etc has been decided upon (i.e. the regulatory bit)

• richallumrichallum Administrator

I think it helps to include chart(s) to tell the story. We normally show 'all goes to plan' and then a relevant stress test to back up the recommendation suitability. The outputs from most systems are far too much for anyone to wade through IMO. Some reports will have 5-10 charts in as it helps with the story telling. If the text around them is good, it's not overwhelming.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• I second Andy Hart, the Voyantist if you go down the Voyant route. Really useful videos, training sessions and forums to bounce ideas off peers.

Stuart, I also agree that some people are doing the planning element a lot better than others and make it central to the entire process (I personally cannot see how you can be a Financial Planner, without having a plan utilising financial forecasting but that's for a different discussion), whereas others are just dipping their toes in to say they provide Lifestyle Financial Planning when in fact its far from it.