Past Performance Info

Hi all,

Is there a good source for past performance data on various asset allocations? e.g. biggest 1 year loss/gain on a 50/50 portfolio over a certain timescale?

Thanks in advance!

Becca

Comments

• amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator

I'd construct a dummy portfolio in Analytics e.g. 50% FTSE All Share and 50% IBoxx UK Sterling All Maturities and then run max drawdown on that. You can choose whichever indices best reflect the the asset allocation you want to model.

Hope that helps.

• Hey Becca, Finametrica do a guide (called Investment Risk & Return Guide and Reports) with portfolios ranging from 100% defensive to 100% equity in 10% increments - It includes returns vs bank deposits, rises and falls, annualised returns and real end values. They are really really useful. It uses data going back 38 years and then a more recent 10 year average.

:)

• @muppetonastick said:
    Hey Becca, Finametrica do a guide (called Investment Risk & Return Guide and Reports) with portfolios ranging from 100% defensive to 100% equity in 10% increments - It includes returns vs bank deposits, rises and falls, annualised returns and real end values. They are really really useful. It uses data going back 38 years and then a more recent 10 year average.

:)

Thank you, Kat! That's perfect. :)

@amarshall I must be one of the only Paraplanners in the land without FE. If you don't mind, I may send you a message separately on this!

• richallumrichallum Administrator

anyone got a link to the Finametrica guide please? Can't seem to find it on their site.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• NathNath Member
    edited October 2018

To be even more specific for some work we were carrying out we asked Parmenion (one of our outsourced providers) for their max loss/gains based on asset allocations for their passive portfolios over last 20 years which they provided, as well as year on year gains/losses going back 20 years. This allowed us to give a fairer representation for our market crash simulations based on risk levels 1 to 10 in Voyant.

Maybe worth asking your chosen solution provider (if you do outsource obvs!)

• richallumrichallum Administrator

Thanks @Rebecca_Tuck

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Are the 'Best Rises' figures definitely correct in that document? For example, the highest figures are for two of the lowest risk portfolios e.g. 80/20 and 70/30 at 54.1% and 52.8%, which goes against the trend of all the other figures in the tables. I assume it's down to periods when fixed interest have done particularly well? What am I missing?

Jonny (paraflex)
  • The paradox of QE?

• amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator
    edited October 2018

Of course @Rebecca_Tuck feel free to PM me if I can be of any further help :smile: