Experience in Paraplanning Interviews

Hi guys,

Could I ask about your experiences with Paraplanning interviews? I have been lucky to been offered a number of 2nd/3rd interviews but I was surprised to see the extent of tests/assessments that are needed.

For instance, a Voyant assessment, god knows what I need to do for that or my favourite after long 12 odd hour shift at work could I write a suitability report from scratch and make up all my own assumptions of clients involved. Let alone the critical technical questions that are faced. I feel like one of those horses in the grand national jumping over those hedges.

It would be great to know your thoughts and how you managed it to get the role you wanted!

Comments

• As an employer, we put 2nd stage paraplanners through a level 4, multiple choice test, which takes around 20 minutes, and then ask them to do a short technical note based on a topic of my choosing. Senior paraplanners miss out the technical note but are asked to complete a case study in advance of the 2nd meeting. From other interviews I have been on, this sounds about right. Writing a full suitability letter sounds a bit much!

When I joining my current company, I was asked to do a technical test and was then given a list of the top 50 boy and girl names born the year before and asked to write about it!

• I went for an interview at Tilney who gave me:

1. an English test (spot the errors in the passage of text)
    2. a multi-choice test (like an RO exam in terms of format and difficulty) - 5 or 10 questions I think
    3. a case study - read the factfind and give advice.

Sounds daunting but it's not really too tricky. They gave me an hour but it didn't take that long.

Other interviews I've had have not done testing.

P.S - I got the job but didn't take it