Lifetime Allowance Query

SamSam Member

Hi guys! :smile:

An adviser I work with has a client approaching retirement in the NHS pension scheme and they've received their pack, including a Lifetime Allowance form with all the usual questions (benefits crystallised pre/post April 2006, etc).

The adviser has, however, queried the relevance of one of the questions: "Will your annual pension from all your pension arrangements be more than £30,000 per year?"

I initially thought the £30k rang a bell but I've been digging through my old notes and come up blank.

Unanswered questions drive me crazy so, would any of you lovely knowledgeable folk know the answer offhand?

Many thanks

Sam

PS: If the answer is really straightforward and obvious, my excuse is that exam revision and the humidity are slowly dulling my brain! :#

Comments

• edited August 2018

How much is the Pension and TFC from the NHS scheme - does the combination of £30k p.a. plus the scheme in question equal the LTA?

EDIT: Actually, I see the question is part of the generic form, so not specifically looking at the client's benefits. So, it must be a 'failsafe' whereby the scheme have said anyone over £30kpa income we will need to verify their position.

• SamSam Member

Thanks Aron - yes it is part of the generic form.

I did try calling the NHS Scheme to ask them the relevance and, after being put on hold while they asked someone senior, they said they have no idea but there 'must be a method in our madness'! :)

I'm guessing it must be a failsafe like you said!