Looking to join CII

Hello all,

I’m a part-qualified accountant and I’ve been looking at various IFA qualifications. I want to gain a diploma relatively quickly and I think the quickest route is their Diploma in RFP, as I can sit R01-R05 whenever I’m ready (as long as the exam centre has availability)

Can anyone recommend any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Comments

• I agree RO exams are the most straightforward way forward. Good luck!

RO1 - The FCA Handbook exam - read the text book, exam is ok with several common sense questions.
    RO2 - investments and maths - long exam and your first real challenge
    RO3 - Tax - perhaps not too bad considering your background. You're short on time for this one.
    RO4 - probably the biggest challenge, pensions, read the book and go on relavent seminars.
    RO5 - Protection, lower level exam and should be ok with a thorough reading of the text book
    RO6 - Putting the other 5 into practive, written exam (the other 5 are multi-choice).

• Thanks for the info!

I've signed up this morning and scheduled exams for R03 and R04 mid July.

How accurate do you think the recommended study hours are for the R03/R04 papers? I'm currently scheduling 50ish hours for each, but seems I may need to amend this based on your comments...

Do you recommend purchasing the CII text for each of these? I've booked the exam only through CII, and now can't get hold of the textbook, and other sellers only seem to have condensed notes..

• edited June 2018

I would suggest textbooks for all except RO6 (by which time you'll have the first 5 which should suffice).

I've never really calculated how long i've taken revising. But enough time to read through the book twice and do 3/4 mocks (understanding the answers).... At least 3 weeks of 2/3 hours a day i suppose. All depends on your current knowledge levels and approach to study generally.

For R06 you will find it beneficial to use a company who read the case studies and let you know what they think the questions and answers will be ... www.brandft.co.uk do this i believe.

• Is there anywhere to purchase used texts?

I'm planning on using the Aviva notes (and mocks) along with audio guides, and various other Youtube videos to fill gaps. Been looking for official textbooks on Ebay and Amazon but no luck yet

Will purchase the other texts direct from CII when I'm ready to book the next set of exams, just wasn't sure I had to buy them at the same time as booking the exam

Thanks again,

• You don't have to buy them at the same time but a) you get a discount if you do, and b) it will be up-to-date for the exam

• redcardredcard Member
    edited June 2018

You do. Think it changed at the start of this year, as they think it is beneficial to sell it is as a complete study package.

No option to buy the text once an exam is booked.

• RalfosRalfos Member

@redcard said:
    You do. Think it changed at the start of this year, as they think it is beneficial to sell it is as a complete study package.

No option to buy the text once an exam is booked.

Didn't they then reverse this decision quite soon after?

• redcardredcard Member
    edited June 2018

Changes to Enrolment - FAQs updated 1 May 2018
    Why have we introduced these changes?
    We see the study text and assessment as one coherent course of learning, measurement and recognition. The best way to deliver our units is therefore by including all core elements of the course in Enrolment

You don't have to book the exam - you can just pay for it, and they send a voucher or redemption code. Not sure if that's maybe what they changed and you had to choose an exam date previously?

Anyway, I just know I can't buy the text from CII even though I want to give them my money

• Actually, just noticed they give free access to the online version , which is pretty good, though I'd much rather have a boring PDF or proper textbook

• I'd give them a call - they should still be able to help you out