Paraplanner 121 or Pool?

Hello! I work for a firm where we currently work on a paraplanner to adviser ratio of 121 however we have recently recruited some new team members meaning that our paraplanners are now at varying levels of qualifications and experience. This has prompted us to think whether we should now look to move to a 'pooled' approach which has the benefit of putting the more experienced paraplanners onto more technical cases and vice versa.

I have experience of working in both scenarios however I'm interested to know what everyone's thoughts are on this?

My inclination is that the pooled approach will work as long as there is someone overseeing and taking responsibility for workflow.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Hi Charlotte,

In my experience of working in teams, pooling the work is always the best approach.

• doesn't tie any one to a 'difficult' partner (adviser or paraplanner)
    • keeps experience available where it is needed and allows for structured development
    • avoids business risk of paraplanner knowing that 'Jim always does it like that', with shortcuts being taken to accommodate otherwise unacceptable practice
    • allows a team manager to prioritise cases into the pool and streamline workflow, relieving pressure from individuals
    • makes it more of a team
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • Thank you Benjamin. I do agree with you on this.

There will always be some resistance by those paraplanners who are looking to shadow and move onto be advisers but for the reasons you stated I consider this is the only option to create more efficiency and consistency in the way we are working.

• JonaJona Member

@charlotte.e we have tried the pool approach too - but make sure you have watertight processes and know exactly who is responsible for what otherwise stuff can fall through the cracks and fingers start pointing.