UFPLS & Critical Yields etc

Quick question for y'all...

When recommending UFPLS, would you expect to see details of the annuity that could have been bought with the crystallised fund / Critical Yield A etc in the suitability report? 

Comments

• I'm finding a lot of providers (AJ Bell spring to mind), do not state CY A or B in their UFPLS illustrations. I usually end up generating two illustrations. One that gets issued to the client that doens't show CYs and another that just gets saved against the file where I have manipulated the figures in a FAD illustration to try and get a suitable CY.

I was under the impression CY A is a requirement but hopefully i'm wrong. 

A statement articulating the sustainability of the strategy is much more useful. 
  • Gustavo_Fring For what's it's worth I agree. Including an annuity comparison and CY A seems rather counter-intuitive to me.....  
  • Guidance on the bases for Critical yields for Pension Fund Withdrawal were originally included in PIA Regulatory Update 55 (a timeless classic):

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/additional/regup55.pdf

As far as I am aware, there has never been a regulatory requirement to produce a critical yield type A or type B for a drawdown plan. There certainly isn't one as I type this (although the current guidance above is considered by some to remain a 'best practice').

The current rules on illustrations are available in COBS 13 Annex 2, with additional requirements for drawdown and regular UFPLS at 2.9.

The rules on Suitability for income withdrawals are in COBS 9.4.10

The guidance in RU55 was written at a time when there was compulsory annuitisation of a PFW at age 75. As such, it had a genuine value to the client who was, effectively, deferring annuity purchase with a PFW.

My personal opinion is that since April 2015 the need for critical yields on any unsecured pension income option is only a factor for clients with a future intention to annuitise the fund. Nothing in COBS makes an argument against that position.

Benjamin Fabi 
  • Thanks Benjamin for your comprehensive response. A bit of bed time reading for me - insomnia will be a thing of the past! :)