R06 October - Study buddy?

Morning all,

Anyone else taking R06 in October?

Jack

Comments

• I am indeed - need to get my head into the book still but I've watched a few webinars (from NMBA).

• @jadud92 said:
    Morning all,

Jack

Me too, going straight in after R01 and R05 so hopefully not too many blind spots...!
    Will be reading all I can until the case studies come out in a few weeks.
    Good luck with the prep

• Hi, I am interested. Any one willing to join. I ordered brandft study material. Will share when I get it.

Angle

• So what's everyone doing to prep atm?

I've downloaded the free taster from Brand, and am learning their "generic questions" - it's already a lot to cover but seems a good start until the case studies are released. Got most of the way through the CII text but it didn't seem to be very relevant for the actual exam.

I've tried a past paper, but the marking system was so strange I ended up failing (despite knowing all the material). A bit demotivating!!

Hopefully the Brand analysis will help when the time comes

• I am taking the October R06 exam.

The case studies have just been released! What do we think?

• OK so I have just logged in to take a look at these case studies...

And it looks like I have been kicked out of my exam sitting!

My booking confirmation has been replaced by a voucher to book the exam again... (but of course no test centres are available)

The booking was confirmed weeks ago, and I have booked flights and everything to be there!! (Barcelona)

No email explaining what has happened or why, so I'm completely in the dark.

Has this happened to anyone else???

• Yes this has happened to me too for AF5. I understand that they are working on the system with PSI (the exam venue provider) and we should be able to book from Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is correct.

Good luck with your exam.

Angela

• > @jwr21 said:
    > OK so I have just logged in to take a look at these case studies...
    >
    > And it looks like I have been kicked out of my exam sitting!
    >
    > My booking confirmation has been replaced by a voucher to book the exam again... (but of course no test centres are available)
    >
    > The booking was confirmed weeks ago, and I have booked flights and everything to be there!! (Barcelona)
    >
    > No email explaining what has happened or why, so I'm completely in the dark.
    >
    > Has this happened to anyone else???

Yes the same has happened to me! I managed to get through on the live chat and as Angela said they informed me it will all be displaying on Monday and the exam is still booked.

How is everyone feeling about the case studies?
  • For information, I was able to book my exam venue this morning. I went into the Bookings & Results page on the CII webite (under my login) and clicked book exam. It took me through to the PSI website which was easy to follow. This is for AF5 though but thought I'd let you know as it might be open for R06 too.

Kind regards
    Angela

• I had managed to book the test centre however I have not had any access to my case study yet - should this be on CII site / revisionmate or something completely different?

• It’s on the CII site on the link below, it’s just the October 2020 exam guide PDF.

https://www.cii.co.uk/learning/qualifications/unit-financial-planning-practice-r06/
  • Hi,

I spoke with CII earlier who confirmed that all exams that were booked have been “wiped” and you will need to rebook at an available test centre. I had to change my test centre which wasn’t ideal but least I got a slot.

I’d definitely recommend making sure you’re booked in somewhere for the exam and that you don’t “have an available voucher”.

Hope that helps.
  • @JoeColeman2018 said:
    Hi,

I spoke with CII earlier who confirmed that all exams that were booked have been “wiped” and you will need to rebook at an available test centre. I had to change my test centre which wasn’t ideal but least I got a slot.

I’d definitely recommend making sure you’re booked in somewhere for the exam and that you don’t “have an available voucher”.

Hope that helps.

I just got an email from the CII saying that they were in the process of migrating the booked sessions over to PSI, and that this would be finished by 30th sept and your login area would be updated to reflect this by then

It also said no need to rebook, so it’s confusing that this has happened to you

I guess it’s “wait and see” for a few days, but I don’t think anyone would be super keen to lose their slot

• Strange. I think if your account shows that you have a voucher rather than the exam you booked I'd approach with caution just to be on the safe side. When I went to book my exam (even though I had booked it previous) I had to alter the test centre location so it seems to have completed wiped the booking.

Definitely one to keep an eye on to make sure you still get your exam slot!

• @JoeColeman2018 said:
    Strange. I think if your account shows that you have a voucher rather than the exam you booked I'd approach with caution just to be on the safe side. When I went to book my exam (even though I had booked it previous) I had to alter the test centre location so it seems to have completed wiped the booking.

Definitely one to keep an eye on to make sure you still get your exam slot!

Glad you managed to get it confirmed!

Unfortunately I’m out here in Spain, and with the COVID restrictions / quarantines etc there’s not a lot we can do over here in terms of international travel. The Nearest alternative exam centres currently available to book are in London (Or Singapore!) So let’s see what happens over the next few days

Fingers crossed

• Hi

I’ve just done the CII workshop day which comes with a slideshow and question/answer prep. Be happy to swap over with someone when they get their brand as a buddy up??

Drop me an email.. michaelrbeasley@hotmail.co.uk
  • Am I right in thinking the case studies should have been released today? If so, does anyone know where they are?

• > @MattR said:
    > Am I right in thinking the case studies should have been released today? If so, does anyone know where they are?

Drop me an email Matt and I’ll send it to you!
  • @MattR said:
    Am I right in thinking the case studies should have been released today? If so, does anyone know where they are?

https://www.cii.co.uk/media/10124893/r06_october_2020_cs.pdf

• How’s everyone getting on with the case studies?
  • @JoeColeman2018 said:
    How’s everyone getting on with the case studies?

I've got a list of potential areas that may come up to study but to be totally honest, until today I've just been reading the case study thinking where do I start! I have ordered the brand analysis and I have a workshop next week. So in the meantime, I am going to study the areas I'm thinking may come up. Feeling a little under prepared to be honest. How are you getting on? Has you read the R06 CII study text? I have not.

• Also, after looking at previous case studies, I think we've done quite well.

• > @Alexandra1512 said:
    > @JoeColeman2018 said:
    > How’s everyone getting on with the case studies?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've got a list of potential areas that may come up to study but to be totally honest, until today I've just been reading the case study thinking where do I start! I have ordered the brand analysis and I have a workshop next week. So in the meantime, I am going to study the areas I'm thinking may come up. Feeling a little under prepared to be honest. How are you getting on? Has you read the R06 CII study text? I have not.

Yes, I’ve been just looking over the case studies too for potential minefields but I do think you’re right - one of the previous ones I saw I thought “I really wouldn’t have fancied that one” - now I’ve said that I’m sure this one will probably be even worse when I get in there! I have read most of the study text but I’ve found going back over specific topics, individually, more useful so far.
  • Yes me too, I really hope we haven’t been lulled into a false sense of security 😂. Have you got bought any additional study material?
  • Will this exam be using the 2019/20 rates, or 2020/21?
  • @Royals430 said:
    Will this exam be using the 2019/20 rates, or 2020/21?

2020-21 is my understanding

• mrbmrb Member
    Hi Everyone

I’m trying to grow a bit of a watsapp group chat for these case studies as I find that it’ll be very useful for everyone to bounce around ideas or even test each other on certain topics.

If it’s something you think you may benefit from please drop me a message on 07880493391 and we can get the group growing.

The more people the better!!
  • Are workshops helpful? What is done there actually? I am confused with brand and work shop. Please advise.

• @mrb said:
    Hi Everyone

I’m trying to grow a bit of a watsapp group chat for these case studies as I find that it’ll be very useful for everyone to bounce around ideas or even test each other on certain topics.

If it’s something you think you may benefit from please drop me a message on 07880493391 and we can get the group growing.

The more people the better!!

good idea, I'm in.

anyone got their exam permit through yet?
    I'm still seeing "your exam is ready to book" (I booked ages ago and the system won't let me book again), getting a bit twitchy

• @jadud92 said:
    Morning all,

Jack

I've just booked myself in for the October exam - defo interested in sharing tips and supporting each other to pass!

Good luck to everyone on here.

I ordered the 'Expected Solution Package' from Wizard Learning, based on a recommendation from a friend. They also recommended the Brand one but I couldn't afford to pay for both!