Transitional Tax Free Amount enquiry for specific client case

NathNath Member
edited April 11 in Technical stuff

Morning All
We have a client that used up 100% of his £1.25M protected LTA prior to April 2024 by taking full income option from his DB scheme and no lump sum.
He also has a £500K uncrystallised SIPP elsewhere that hasn't been touched. Under the standard calcs he obviously would have 0% left, but looking at the calculators and calculations, if he applies for the transitional certificate, he will then have £312,500 LSA available again.

Two questions on this (hopefully Les sees this :smile: ):

• Is the understanding above correct?
  • If that is the case, can the client take the full £312,500 tax free from the £500,000 SIPP if he provides them with the certificate?

The second question i'm really not sure on. The LSA would obviously be the 'max' they could take but I believe it is still limited to 25% of the value of the SIPP?

Hopefully someone can clarify the points.

Thank you

Nathan

Comments

• My understanding is this is correct, and they would also have £1,250,000 LSDBA available also. However my word has less weight than others on here!

• NathNath Member

Thanks for the reply.

So do you also think he could take £312,500 from the £500,000 SIPP or that he would be limited to 25% of this? Hopefully we will also get a few more replies to really nail this down and thanks for answering.

N

• Sorry, for some reason my mind completely phased over this part!

No it would just be 25% of the amount crystallised (i.e. £125,000 if they crystallise in full) - which is still better than £0!

• NathNath Member

Yes this makes sense thank you.

• What @Wildparaplanner said!
    Standard PCLS is lowest of of 25% of fund, LSA and LSDBA.

• NathNath Member

Perfect thank you all!!

• Hello, sorry to jump on an existing thread, but I have a client in a similar situation, but a technical team is telling us something different to the above.

The client used 117% of LTA when took benefits from NHS pension. This paid £170,424 as a lump sum (was reduced by about £3k due to an annual allowance tax charge, but will ignore that for now..).

He also has an uncrystallised DC pension value of about £80k, and considering further contributions (of which availability of tax free cash will play a part in the decision)

So under standard calculation would not be any LSA remaining, but looking at this simply then if applied for transitional certificate then could be up to £97,851 tax free cash available, meaning that 25% tax free cash could be taken from the DC scheme.

However, I am being told that as 100% of LTA was used, then no tax free cash (LSA) advantage to transitional certificate, but would help the LSDBA. An issue of this nature does ring a bell in the reading I have done (ie needing to have at least 0.01% of LTA available), but I am struggling to find confirmation for certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Better not be one of my technical team!!!

You are correct they are wrong.

What they have said is only correct where the tax free amounts paid was £268,75 or more.

• In the very early days there was a thought that you would only be able to get a certificate if you had used less than 100% of LTA. Maybe that is what rang a bell.

That got changed fairly rapidly though - it was the 99.99% / 100% problem. Not fair.

• @les_cameron said:
    In the very early days there was a thought that you would only be able to get a certificate if you had used less than 100% of LTA. Maybe that is what rang a bell.

That got changed fairly rapidly though - it was the 99.99% / 100% problem. Not fair.

Thank you Les for such a swift and helpful comment. Don't worry, was not one of your team!