Time tracking uses

This is perhaps a strange question: I have all this time in the day but I have days where it seems to melt away and when I look at how I've spent my time, it looks like I've not done anything!!!

So, apart from the obvious use of time tracking software for client work, do you also use it for anything else that isn't chargeable, for example, webinars, non chargeable meetings (eg prospective new clients), studying, etc?

Comments

• richallumrichallum Administrator

Hi @Andy_Schleider we track all time on any activity. As well as client work we also have categories for business management, business development, CPD & training & a catchall misc one. We try to add notes to each activity to see what's going. If someone works 7.5 hours there should be 7.5 hours tracked so we can see exactly where it all goes. The MI is so useful, at a very high level it allows me to see what % of our time goes on client (billable) work and what goes on non billable stuff. You can see that for last month below. Our long term (10 years+) billable % is 72%.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Same as Richard. Track pretty much everything. My billable runs at 80% but I'm just me, so I'd expect that to be higher.

I have a project for my business with various categories and sub tasks. Not too detailed but enough get decent MI from.
    Benjamin Fabi 
  • These are two different things: 1) charging and justifying your time 2) Managing your time and ensuring that you are "on it" when you're supposed to be.

For charging and tracking time I use Harvest.

For training myself to be "on it" I use the Pomodoro Technique.

• Hi chaps - which trackers do you all use?

• richallumrichallum Administrator

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• Harvest here too. Wouldn't be without it.
    Benjamin Fabi