Professional Indemnity Insurance

Hello

I am new to freelancing and I have been asked to supply details of my professional indemnity insurance for a new contract.

I have tried to get quotes online and I have called a couple of insurance brokers but it is proving a lot harder than I first anticipated.

Can anyone provide any recommendations or guidance of where I can purchase the insurance?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Can you tell us what it is you are doing? I'm an outsourced paraplanner and I don't have (or see the need for) PI insurance. It's not my name on the advice report; I'm simply providing the service but it is the advice firm's responsibility to ensure it's correct before it gets presented to the client.

I did actually look into it at the start but the insurers decided that I wouldn't be able to work on DB transfers and it would have cost me an arm and a leg; I didn't see there was any point.

Others on here may have a different view :smile:

• Hi Andy
    Thank you for your response.
    The contract is for paraplanning services for a wealth management firm. No DB work, just existing arrangement reviews and possible switches.
    The contract is via a recruitment agency and they are the ones specifying that I need to have the insurance.
    As it is extremely difficult to get a quote, I was assuming it would be rather expensive (if I do receive a quote at all!?).
    I think I will push back and see what they say.

many thanks again.

• richallumrichallum Administrator
    edited January 2021

Hiscox is the only company offering terms for new risks and only want sole traders or very small firms to limit the risks. I did a full review of the market in December and that's it.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• What about Simply Business, MoneySuperMarket, or Aviva? Aren't they good for PI insurance?

• I used Collegiate apparently they are the only ones who offer PI insurance specifically for paraplanners. They are not cheap though but i know other outsourcers have used other insurers and listed their services as admin not paraplanning and that is a lot cheaper (think i may have been robbed) :)

• I think if a company are insisting on you having something, or it is necessary for you to pay for something that you only need because you are working with them, I would probably look to pass that cost on.

I had to pay for a Dropbox subscription as one client uses this, and I add this to their invoice each month. If we part ways in the future, I'll close it down.

• GeoffGeoff Member

Hello, you may like to try Collegiate Underwriting