Morningstar or FE?

Hello!  I am a user of FE Analytics, a client of mine subscribes to Morningstar Workstation and is asking what is better - FE or Morningstar.  Does anyone with experience of both have a view please?

Thanks,

Nicki

Comments

• richallumrichallum Administrator
    We use FE but have used MS too. MS has possibly a slightly better dataset (no dreaded 'other' category in asset allocation) and better eye candy but it's very clunky to use.

Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. 

• I use Morningstar Adviser Workstation but used FE Analytics with my last firm.  I find MAW much more comprehensive and flexible.  I like the clipboard for charts and the ability to import client holdings from a range of platforms, which saves you inputting/updating portfolio values/weightings.  I can see Richard's point about being clunky but I think its a bit like any software, if you can spend a bit of time exploring the functionality you can get quite slick and able to produce a wider range of output quite quickly and once you do MAW is the more powerful of the two.
  • I prefer FE; taking StevC's points into account above, i would say Analytics now allows for all of those features so which one is better is merely down to user preference on interfaces. I also like that FE is UK based whereas Morningstar is a US owned corporation. Analytics has come on leaps and bounds in the last three years and I like that they are listening to feedback with continuous developments.
  • amarshallamarshall Member, Moderator
    I only have experience of FE Analytics and find it very good, particularly the support that we receive that from them.