R06 Oct19

Comments

• HI all,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the furnished holiday let taxation - CGT at 18% or 28% (as per Brand Notes) however I was under the impression it would qualify for entrepreneurs relief so be CGT at a flat rate of 10%?

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Gem

• What is the pass mark for this exam? I've had a look online and I've read 55% and 65%!

• > @Dxm87 said:
    > What is the pass mark for this exam? I've had a look online and I've read 55% and 65%!

I thought (and really hope) it’s 55% ! X
  • The pass mark is 55%.
    I'm taking this exam for the 3rd time lol !

• @Gupalg said:
    HI all,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the furnished holiday let taxation - CGT at 18% or 28% (as per Brand Notes) however I was under the impression it would qualify for entrepreneurs relief so be CGT at a flat rate of 10%?

Thanks
    Gem

Hi Gem,

they haven't told us in the case study if it qualifies for a furnished holiday let. if it qualifies they would be able to claim entrepreneurs relief. If not would be the usual CGT at 18/28%.

• @TB1192 said:

@Gupalg said:
    HI all,

Thanks
    Gem

Hi Gem,

they haven't told us in the case study if it qualifies for a furnished holiday let. if it qualifies they would be able to claim entrepreneurs relief. If not would be the usual CGT at 18/28%.

thanks! there's me jumping to conclusions already!

• How's everyone finding the revision ready for Monday?

Anyone with Redmill think it would be worth buying?/if people have both which have they really got their teeth into?

I have Brand but want to give myself the best possibility (unless someone wants to send me it me if they have it already) I have some course notes uploaded by the trainer to swap from a recent course for RO6 specific tot he questions i can share in return x

• Is that from the R06 course yesterday in Crawley? I was at that one.

I've got both Redmill and Brand and I think I prefer Brand out of the two, the answers are lot closer to the model answers in the past papers. With Redmill some of the answers they give are quite in depth and I just found I was bogged down with unnecessary information.

• @Dxm87 said:
    Is that from the R06 course yesterday in Crawley? I was at that one.

I've got both Redmill and Brand and I think I prefer Brand out of the two, the answers are lot closer to the model answers in the past papers. With Redmill some of the answers they give are quite in depth and I just found I was bogged down with unnecessary information.

yes that's the one, well I went to Fareham one the week before though, he's going to update the notes we had with your info (and update both my session and yours after his session on Friday) how did you find it?

• @Gupalg said:

@Dxm87 said:
    Is that from the R06 course yesterday in Crawley? I was at that one.

yes that's the one, well I went to Fareham one the week before though, he's going to update the notes we had with your info (and update both my session and yours after his session on Friday) how did you find it?

I found it really useful, made me think about the questions in a way I hadn't before and feeling pretty confident now. Although I found he went a bit too technical on certain subjects which judging from past papers was not needed...but then again who knows with CII!

• @Gupalg said:
    How's everyone finding the revision ready for Monday?

Anyone with Redmill think it would be worth buying?/if people have both which have they really got their teeth into?

I have Brand but want to give myself the best possibility (unless someone wants to send me it me if they have it already) I have some course notes uploaded by the trainer to swap from a recent course for RO6 specific tot he questions i can share in return x

I have Redmill and found it really useful for structuring my studying and mentioning products I might need to study up on. Also for the types of questions that the exam might ask.

Haven't read Brand. Considering buying it as guys above seem to prefer Brand.

It's cheaper than having to take the exam twice anyway!!

• How's everyone feeling?

My biggest worry is the model answers are bullet points with 4/5 words. Whether as the CII say most fail because of a lack of detail.

How do you link general answers - 'Pros and cons of Employer PMI' to the case study, is it just as simple as putting the clients name in the answer, or am i missing something here?

On most of the model answers, it's very generic.

• Dxm87Dxm87 Member
    edited October 2019

I'm actually not feeling too bad about it, the course I went on definitely helped I think. Just hope questions around trusts are kept to a minimum haha.

I definitely think for those types of questions you would need to put some generic answers down, however you can say "Rafa & Lara will get cover" also mention it could result in a loss of the personal allowance as he is close to 100k etc. But yeah the model answers are quite generic but then if you read the case study they do correlate.

• @Dxm87 said:
    I'm actually not feeling too bad about it, the course I went on definitely helped I think. Just hope questions around trusts are kept to a minimum haha.

I definitely think for those types of questions you would need to put some generic answers down, however you can say "Rafa & Lara will get cover" also mention it could result in a loss of the personal allowance as he is close to 100k etc. But yeah the model answers are quite generic but then if you read the case study they do correlate.

Yeah i think so too, cheers. Good luck!

• Hope everyone managed okay this morning! I was pleasantly surprised with the questions and feeling positive over all! Just a waiting game now!!
  • @sdeighton said:
    Hope everyone managed okay this morning! I was pleasantly surprised with the questions and feeling positive over all! Just a waiting game now!!

I also found it pretty straightforward and a lot had been covered in the Brand Analysis so unless I completely misunderstood what they were looking for fingers crossed all good!

• @Ashwalsh95 said:
    How's everyone feeling?

My biggest worry is the model answers are bullet points with 4/5 words. Whether as the CII say most fail because of a lack of detail.

How do you link general answers - 'Pros and cons of Employer PMI' to the case study, is it just as simple as putting the clients name in the answer, or am i missing something here?

On most of the model answers, it's very generic.

The pros and cons are just a fact dump, there is no of necessity relevance. Where detail might be seen to be missed is such as John's old pension, the model answer asks something like "is this still being funded", a well intentioned if closed question. But what are the values given for this with profs plan, current and transfer, if it was NOT being funded the value would be called a paid up value.

In not dissimilar vein the Brandmodel gives an IHT value for life cover but that assumes the same pension is not liable, it might be exempt but there is no evidence for it, why? Because with a high GAR (I've seen 13 - 7%) the 11+% suggests it isn't a Personal Pension but a "personal pension", a commonly used marketing name for a RAC and RACs were not written under trust (with an EoW letter) but required their own separate and optional trust, without a trust it would fall to the estate and with one might still have John's former wife as the benefciary, that, I think, is what they mean.

• Hi All,

Just wanted to check the date the results are due. Is it 6th Dec 19?

Thanks

• No 15th November, I believe the AF exams are 6th Dec.

• Thank you for confirming

• This is such a long wait........... :s :s :s

• I would suggest going on holiday for a couple of weeks. I flew out to Orlando the day after my exam in April, and when I got back it didn't seem that long a wait.

I guess if you take an exam every 6 months that could get expensive!!

• > @Andy_Schleider said:
    > I would suggest going on holiday for a couple of weeks. I flew out to Orlando the day after my exam in April, and when I got back it didn't seem that long a wait.
    >
    > I guess if you take an exam every 6 months that could get expensive!!

Funny you should say that I flew to Prague the day after mine and then to krakow, only been back a week and already dragging haha!!
  • How's everyone feeling ahead of Friday? It's been such a long wait, hoping these next few days go quick so we can find out how we did!

• @Gupalg said:
    How's everyone feeling ahead of Friday? It's been such a long wait, hoping these next few days go quick so we can find out how we did!

Nervous!! Hahah!

Now I know the results are coming out time is going twice as slow as usual... :#

• Hi guys, I’m new to the site and was looking to pull on your experience of completing the RO exams. My question is on which RO exams are essential to complete before taking the RO6 exam. I’d aim to complete RO1-RO5 by March to then do RO6 in April. I’ve had a change in circumstances which means I won’t be able to complete RO6 in April but ideally wouldn’t want to wait until July. I’ve done RO1 and due to do RO2 start of December. Any thoughts would be appreciated :) Good luck all with your results
  • How did everyone do?

I passed...just, got 85. Seriously thought I did better than that but who cares :smiley: Just R04 for me in two weeks then that's my diploma!!

• @Dxm87 said:
    How did everyone do?

I passed...just, got 85. Seriously thought I did better than that but who cares :smiley: Just R04 for me in two weeks then that's my diploma!!

Congratulations! I failed unfortunately with 78. Did you get feedback for every question you answered? I only have feedback for 1c 1f 2c 2d and 2f

• @AJW91 said:

@Dxm87 said:
    How did everyone do?

Congratulations! I failed unfortunately with 78. Did you get feedback for every question you answered? I only have feedback for 1c 1f 2c 2d and 2f

Sorry to hear that!

No I haven't got any feedback at all, a bit annoying as I would like to know what areas I did well/bad in.

• Morning all,

Hope everyone is as pleased as I am this morning - passed with 105!

Sorry to hear that AJW - So close as well!! I didn't get any feedback - Maybe they just give feedback on the ones where you lost the most marks. Hope the feedback is helpful!