I can't train

Hi all,

Exactly what it says on the tin, really. I'm currently attempting to train up another member of the team to take on some of the more simple reports to free up some of my time, but it's not going well.

Has anyone else overcome their own extreme impatience and perfectionism to successfully provide "constructive feedback" and see some real progress/improvements being made by your trainee?

If yes, how did you go about it? Can you get training on training?!

All help appreciated.

Becca

Comments

• JonaJona Member

Let people make mistakes - it's how we learn.

About as good as I've got @Rebecca_Tuck sorry........

• Hello, I am going through a similar process at the moment. My advice would be:

• Talk them through a live case. I write and talk them through what I am doing. Then flip roles and I watch them whilst they write and chip in when required.
    • Send them a variety of example letter for them to refer to.
    • Create a step-by-step process guide on how to create a letter and where to find the relevant documents and information.
    • Start with very simple letters to get them used to the style and process involved in writing letters.
    • Gradually increase complexity.
    • 4-eye early letters until they are up to standard. Rather than change errors, I will point them out by using the ‘comments’ function in Word, which means the trainee has to change errors themselves. This way they learn quickly.
    • Keep a folder with a record of letters and feedback I have given so I can sense check progress and identify common errors that are occurring.

As a general point, if you are a perfectionist, I would be prepared to relax that a little bit and take a view on certain things. As long as it isn’t compromising quality or compliance standards, of course.

Hope that helps.

• PedroPedro Member

It sounds a bit obvious, but I think bearing in mind the PEG principle will hopefully help:

• Performance (i.e. what was done)
    • Expectation (what you had anticipated the end result being)
    • Gap (the difference between the two!)

What I have always found is that I can typically trace back my frustrations to not making clear why things are important, or what I expected.

Essentially, if you're clear about your expectations, then it makes it much easier to then discuss where there are gaps (and for them to explain why!). Also, make clear why things are important / what could happen if it wasn't done properly.

Not clear if it is a brand new starter, but also (as mentioned above), it's worth jotting down the feedback on an email just to demonstrate what you've fed back (and to use as the basis for improvements that are made), perhaps with a couple of targets for the coming week.

• Thanks for the replies everyone, there have been some great tips on this and I'm really grateful for all the help. Fingers crossed for progress!